FROM California Federation of Interpreters
Thursday, December 5th, 2013
SAN FRANCISCO Your bargaining team is happy to report a tentative agreement was reached — and the first order of business is to thank the membership for the incredible stamina and unwavering support. We couldn’t have done it without you.
Both sides had to compromise to come to this agreement which includes raises and a VRI reopener and the committee recommends ratification.
On VRI the courts agreed to a reopener of the contract on assignment and cross assignment issues, and a delay in any implementation of VRI until after December 31, 2014 rather than a waiver of cross assignment rights. The right to bargain the impacts of VRI on working conditions remains part of the agreement.
On wages the agreement includes:
- a 2% increase effective October 1, 2014,
- another 2% increase to the base wage effective October 1, 2015,
- and a $2,500 signing bonus for every single employee _ whether full time, part time or intermittent _ will be distributed within 45 days of ratification.
- The additional agreements reached last May are preserved, including:
- the dual language pay differential,
- the increase in the education reimbursement,
- and the ability to use that reimbursement every two years rather than annually.
A document with all the contract language will be prepared for review prior to the ratification vote.
A ratification meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 10 at 7 p.m. in San Francisco or Oakland — location to be announced. Let’s celebrate! Consider this a combo holiday party and ratification meeting. In view of the distance and logistics for people to get to a meeting, the option of email voting will also be available through December 13 .
This is the result of our unity and perseverance. Congratulations!
Your bargaining committee,
Mary Lou Aranguren
Katy Van Sant